Specialist Property Dispute Solicitors

As a landlord, you’ll find that most of your tenants are considerate, respectful, and cause you no problems at all – but it’s also a fact of life that not all tenancies will go as smoothly.

In these cases, you need legal advice from a property dispute solicitor. London-based Romain Coleman has many years of experience in landlord and tenant law, and we can help you with any tenant-related issues promptly.

Please Note: We Act Only For Landlords
We Do Not Represent Tenants.

Romain Coleman solicitors are highly experienced in all types of landlord-tenant disputes. Whatever the nature of your enquiry, we have the expertise to help you. We have already helped many commercial landlords just like you to solve their challenges quickly and economically.

Please call us now on 0208 520 4555 or complete our Quick Online Enquiry.

Check out our Landlord Legal Advice Telephone Service too.

Landlord and Tenant Disputes

There are many reasons why the tenancy may not be working out, and there are many ways of resolving a landlord-tenant dispute, from arranging mediation right through to court action and eviction.

Romain Coleman solicitors are landlord solicitors only: we do not represent tenants, meaning we are experts in getting the results that matter to you, as a landlord. We can give you the help and support you need to resolve your problem tenancy, whatever the solution may be.

House key on a house shaped keychain resting on wooden floorboards concept for real estate, moving home or renting property

Landlord Solicitors with Commercial Landlord and Tenant Law Expertise

We are experts in several main issues the landlords may encounter with their tenants including:

  • Dilapidations – This can be a strong point of contention between a landlord and their tenant. The lease should state who is responsible for the condition of the building, and a dilapidation claim can occur once either the landlord or the tenant has breached the terms of their lease. Making sure that your lease terms are correct can also help to protect you from such a claim.
  • Subletting – A dispute may start if your tenant wants to sublet all or part of your property. We can help you to understand the responsibilities of your tenant and also what you need to do when dealing with a sublet. You need to make your tenant aware of their ongoing responsibilities too.
  • Forfeiture of the Lease – In certain circumstances, you can forfeit the lease and recover possession of your property, but typically only if your tenant does not comply with the terms of the lease.
  • Possession Claims – You can use a possession claim if your tenant owes you rent for a residential property, but not if the rent is owed on a commercial property. You can also use a possession claim where your tenant has breached their lease in some other way, or if they’ve been acting in an anti-social manner.
  • Property Disrepair Claims – As a landlord, your tenant may bring a property disrepair claim against you; don’t panic, because there are some simple ways to protect yourself from these kinds of claims. Talk to us, as we can advise you of the validity of the claim, and show you the most economical course of action to take. Read more about Property Disrepair Claims here.
  • Rent Arrears – If your tenant falls behind in their rent payments, you can evict them. There are strict rules to follow before doing this, and it also depends on the type of tenancy agreement you have with them. If you don’t follow the correct eviction process, you could illegally evict your tenant. Doing so not only paves the way for a court to allow them back into the property, but you could also be charged with harassment. You may want to try to arrange a payment plan with your tenant to clear the rent arrears before going down the eviction route.
  • Service charges – These are charges for the general maintenance of the building, including insurance, heating, and electricity for shared areas and items such as lift maintenance and cleaning. The lease that you issue to your tenant will outline who is responsible for the payment of service charges. Talking to a solicitor can help you make your lease watertight, avoiding any issues with non-payment of service charges. If your tenant does not pay they are in breach of their lease, and you could opt for a possession claim.
  • Breach of convenience – As a landlord, you have the right to access your property to inspect it or carry out repairs to it. However you must also respect your tenant’s privacy, and they must agree to the timing of your visit. If you are facing issues with access, speak to us today.

Although it is quicker and less expensive to enter into dispute resolution, the catch is to get your tenant to agree to undertake the resolution process. Read more about our property dispute services here.

Why Choose Romain Coleman?

We are landlord specialists and never represent tenants, so we can put all our experience and expertise in your case. Whatever the issue is, we can help you to bring it to resolution.

Taking your tenant to court is not your only option. There are other tools that you can use, such as Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) that includes mediation or arbitration, to bring the dispute with your tenant to an end without going to court. You can read more about our mediation services here.

Contact Us Today About Your Property Dispute

As landlord solicitors based in London, we at Romain Coleman have experienced commercial property solicitors who can help you to understand the dispute you are involved in and layout the different methods of resolution available to you.

To speak to an experienced property dispute solicitor now, call us on 0208 520 4555 or contact us online, and we’ll be happy to help.