How to make an uninsured road accident claim

If you’ve ever been in a road accident with a negligent uninsured driver, or been the victim of an untraced ‘hit-and-run’, you may think that there’s nothing you can do about it. Fortunately, at Romain Coleman we’re specialists in uninsured road accident claims.

There’s still a way to make a claim

It’s a little-known fact that if a driver, passenger or pedestrian is injured in a road accident where the guilty party is either uninsured or party to a hit-and-run scenario, a claim can still be pursued by contacting the Motor Insurers Bureau. This is an organisation set up by the Government and Motor Insurers to compensate the victims of uninsured and untraced drivers, even in circumstances where the offending driver flees the scene and his registration number has not been taken. The Motor Insurers Bureau does not publicise its existence, which has thus far kept the number of claims low, and it is apparent that many people are unaware of the fact that they can pursue such claims and recover damages.

What governs the procedures?

The claims are governed by two agreements: The Uninsured Drivers Agreement and the Untraced Drivers Agreement. While they are somewhat different, the goal is to let the victim recover damages as if the offending party was insured. The two agreements have completely different procedures:

  • Under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement, if a claim is made against an uninsured driver, the procedure is nearly identical to that in a normal insurance claim pursued by solicitors against an insurer. The only important thing to remember is that the Motor Insurers Bureau procedures are far more complicated than normal, and it is essential that the solicitor dealing with the case is experienced and familiar with the procedures. The Motor Insurers Bureau does not make any allowances, and can avoid paying out if the solicitor falls short of its unforgiving requirements.
  • The procedure under the Untraced Drivers Agreement is different because there is no litigation, and the matter is purely negotiated between the solicitor and the Motor Insurers Bureau. In these circumstances, the Bureau will always obtain a statement directly from the client to ensure that the details are correct. This is because in the absence of any witnesses, the only witness might be the Claimant alleging that he or she was in a hit and run situation. In most cases the police should have been called to the scene, but if they were not then it is a requirement under the Untraced Drivers Agreement that the accident is reported to the police as soon as possible. This should happen preferably within a day, or at the very least within 14 days. If the accident is not reported to the police within the stipulated period, the Motor Insurers Bureau will likely not pay out any damages.

We’re ready to help with uninsured road accident claims

At Romain Coleman, we have considerable experience in dealing with claims involving the Motor Insurers Bureau. The interests of our clients always come before our own, and we pride ourselves on providing an individualised service. We will meet you face to face, rather than deal with you at the end of the telephone; as anyone who has suffered the distress of a serious accident can attest, the personal treatment can often be invaluable in the recovery process.

Our solicitors speak to clients in plain, jargon-free English, so you actually understand what is going on. We are always available on the telephone or in the office to see our clients, and we aim to have you make informed decisions based on the facts available.

Romain Coleman’s aim is to support our clients through the road accident claims process, obtaining the best compensation and rehabilitation treatment possible so that you can resume your life with minimal complications. An accident can turn everything upside down, but it’s our steady hand that can right things again.

Get in touch today

Call us today for your free, first consultation at 0800 056 0346, or 020 8520 4555 if you are calling on a mobile phone. You can also contact us online using our Free Online Enquiry Form. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you make an uninsured road accident claim.